[Reader-list] the world without borders

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 12:28:26 IST 2009

Dear Taraprakash

I accept the claim that Article 370 must be scrapped, and not only should it
be scrapped, but not only Indians, but also people of all kinds of
identities must be given the democratic right to buy property there if it is
available for sale, and build houses and live there. I don't think this is
something which can be objected to. However, this is ironically in case of
an ideal scenario.

In the current scenario, the fact remains that some part of the problem is
communal and some part is not communal. Also, whatever be the romantic
notions of the Kashmiris, the fact remains that both India and Pakistani
state establishments are not going to release the Kashmir under their
control, due to the sentimental and emotional capital attached with it. And
India, in order to appease the Kashmiris on its side to be with it, has
introduced this article.

Therefore, if the ideal scenario case were to be followed, not only must
Article 370 go, but also the LOC and the International Border must go. Both
should be removed and all kinds of people must be allowed to move around and
trade with each other, live where they get the chance to with certain norms
obeyed.

After all, it would be a shame that on one hand we argue that Muslims can't
live in Hindu dominated areas in Gujarat or elsewhere, and then say that
Hindus or other people can't live in Muslim dominated areas in Kashmir.

Regards

Rakesh