[Reader-list] FW: Hindu families in Pakistan feel scared, India grants Visa

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:25:03 IST 2009

Dear Sandeep

Thank you for your mail.

I do not resent you having personal opinions, after all we are free country
and people have a right to have personal opinions but I do resent people
articulating their personal opinions as truisms on a public list. So I beg
your pardon because I do not think that a) whole Independence movement was
bullshit, b)been better they were still part of british empire and c) maybe
we would hv acheived same kind of status like aussies and canadians by now.

Reason being rather obvious- it was an unjust rule.

And I am glad that it was over long before I was born and were it to happen
again I will be more than happy to resist it. Insofar as arguments over
Nandy's position are concerned, I think the best person to answer these
questions would be Nandy himself.

Let me add that I am truly charmed by your clarity of thought and insight.
Can we on the reader-list assume that for all times to come, your position
on issues related to independence would be consistent i.e.'independence
movement was bullshit'.

Even if according to you,  we consider the Independence movement as
'bullshit' then should we also consider all other social configurations,
ideas, propositions emanating as complementary strands to the independent
movement as 'bullshit?  For instance, the Hindu mahasabha or the RSS etc
were such propositions, could we consider these social reactions to
contemporary socio-political thought as 'bullshit' too?

Or should we go by your caveat and ignore your 'bullshit' as merely a
'daydream' and carry on?

Warm regards

Taha