[Reader-list] Reservation for any caste, faith or community., is it rule od laws in democratic life.?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Fri May 22 10:34:46 IST 2009

Dear Malik jee

I think first of all the PIL's filed in the SC do get a quick judgement, at
least compared to many other cases which keep on dragging in the court. In
any case, I can understand your predicament. I am not saying that you can't
have a difference of opinion; but I believe that if you really feel it's
wrong, go and pressurize the govt. to realize that you are right, and let
those who differ from you also do the same. Then let the govt. take the
decision accordingly. If a govt. on public pressure can introduce NREGA,
then you also have the option of doing so. Of course, it takes time and
patience and a lot of effort, but if you really support your stand, you have
the choice of doing it.

Secondly, on the particular issue of reservation, I believe that
reservations must be decided on a rational and scientific basis, not on vote
considerations. But the current reservations are anyway not going to help
the so many poor OBC's who live across the country. On the issue of OBC
reservation, I think we need a proper rational debate, but on the larger
issue of reservations, I believe reservations are one good way in the short
term to reduce some amount of inequality. If our rich and middle class feel
so threatened, they have the money and the resources (thanks to our govt
which has made bank loans so easy to get), to study abroad. They always have
the option to do that. But India also belongs to the SC's, the ST's, the
OBC's, the Muslims (of all kinds) , the Christians (of all kinds) as much as
it does to the upper castes, the rich and the middle class.

Third, our judiciary indeed does take bad decisions, as I myself believe in
both the Afzal Guru and the Sardar Sarovar Dam cases. There would be many
more, I believe. However, that does not mean that we shouldn't have faith in
them. At least they are an option we can turn to, and only when they fail
should we get public pressure and people-based movements behind us to make
the SC change its stand. After all, courts are due to people, people are not
due to courts. In other words, 'janta se sarkaar hai, sarkaar se janta
nahi'.

As far as promised benefits are concerned, all parties in their manifestos
had made many promises. For illegal promises and vested interests, I must
say that I personally couldn't vote simply because my exams were going on in
Chennai and I am registered in Bhopal as a voter. If you refer not to me but
the whole of India, by stating such things, you are insulting the decision
making ability of the people of India, and this is very unfortunate and
wrong. This is condemnable.

As far as God blessing us is concerned, I remember what Modi said once 'It's
better to be Ram bharose rather than Sonia bharose'.

I would say: 'It's better to be Ram and common people bharose rather than
the rich-middle class combo/Modi/Manmohan/Sonia/Advani/political
class/judiciary bharose'

Regards

Rakesh