[Reader-list] 'What Is Eve Teasing?' - Opinion Poll Results

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:40:12 IST 2009

Chandni jee

I am happy that you put out such a context. However, what you are defining
as freedom, is actually to me, not freedom, but will. A girl has in her will
or in her mind a notion that a particular male should behave only in a
particular way with her, and so on, for different males. That is will, and
while she has the freedom to think that a male should behave in a certain
way with her, she doesn't have the freedom or right to ensure that only what
she thinks is the reality.

So I feel that the girl's will-power has been sacrificed by such an event.
For me, the real problem is how our society functions, where girls are
expected to be submissive and ignore what wrong happens with them, whereby
even if they feel something is wrong, they are taught to accept/ignore it
and let it go that way. And men also are encouraged to continue their wrong
doings as well. I won't fault only with women, even men are to be blamed for
such an attitude and arrogance. Once this changes, automatically people stop
misusing their freedoms, right?

However, freedom can't be will. That way, we should also allow the saffron
brigade to impose a ban on Valentine's day, right?

Rakesh