[Reader-list] Fw: 'What Is Eve Teasing?' - Opinion Poll Results

Meera Rizvi meera.rizvi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:13:29 IST 2009

Dear Subhrodip,

There is no problem in showing your liking for someone. Most women, and I
speak as a woman, are flattered by genuine admiration even if they do not
return it. Eve teasing refers to situations which feel disempowering to a
woman - where she feels scared, nervous and violated. These situations
depict contempt rather than admiration.

So, if I am waiting for walking on a lonely road, and someone rides their
motorbike too close to me - I would consider it eve teasing even though they
may not have touched or groped. If you are waiting on a lonely bus stop at a
late hour and a car stops a few feet away from you, it makes most women
nervous. On the other hand, if the same thing happened when one was with a
gang of friends, it would not even register. Or if it did, it would be
amusing.

So, in short, eve teasing, simply defined is an attempt to brow beat a
woman, to undermine her will and to snatch from her the freedom of choice.
Asking someone out politely is not eve teasing.

Regards,

Meera

On 11/1/09, subhrodip sengupta <sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> [...]

Meera