[Reader-list] Love Jihad- A New Phrase Being Added to Lexicon of Hate Politics!

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:31:40 IST 2009

Dear Pawan jee (and all)

Everybody has a democratic right to protest, and that should be left.
However, I would suggest that inter-religious marriages should not be termed
as an unreligious thing, unless of course religion is too conservative and
narrow minded. And even this narrow-mindedness of religion should be
debated, in my belief.

The reason to protest is fine if the girl indeed has been forcibly
converted, and there can be no problems or issues if there has to be an
inquiry. But if it does turn out that the girl has undertaken the marriage
willingly, the Sikh community should accept it. I feel saddened that in an
era where interdependency has taken new forms, the Sikh community (so also
others) should think that of self-sufficiency in this kind of way (which is
pre-judiced). It is certainly unfortunate.

An inter-religious marriage can actually be used in a very constructive way
by ensuring that two religious sects (or even entire religions) get their
joint candidates selected for democratically contested posts, and thereby
ensure that work will get done. And from an intrinsic point of view, it
should certainly be the case that two people should have the freedom to
judge for themselves whether they wish to marry or not.

Let not social pressures and prejudices come in the way of a relationship
which is an epitome of love, is all I can say. Love is after all, the true
meaning of God. (And this is for everyone, lest you take it as only for you)

Life is too short to be spent with hate in our minds.

Rakesh