[Reader-list] Fw: 'What Is Eve Teasing?' - Opinion Poll Results

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 14:53:05 IST 2009

Dear Meera

Very appropriately put by you:

""""' Eve teasing refers to situations which feel disempowering to a woman - where she feels scared, nervous and violated. ........ So, in short, eve teasing, simply defined is an attempt to brow beat a woman, to undermine her will and to snatch from her the freedom of choice. """""''

I do not agree though with the comment " These situations depict contempt rather than admiration."

Wonder if you would agree that there is some graded evaluation to be recognised ranging from the "eve teasing" of the pre-puberty years on to immediate-post-puberty years and onwards. Would it also be reasonable to distinguish between "eve teasing" and "sexual harrasment" with the later resorted to by men in such positions and situations where they find it easy to intimidate and bully.

Kshmendra