[Reader-list] Big Bang Bangalore Under BJP Government

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 13:50:09 IST 2010

http://ibnlive.in.com/blogs/3348/61741.html

by B S Yedyurappa <http://ibnlive.in.com/blogs/author/3348.html>

Now that the people of Bangalore have given a decisive mandate in favour of
the BJP in the just completed prestigious BBMP polls. It is time to carry
out the agenda for the overall development of Bangalore and rest of
Karnataka. Yes, I have outlined my objectives for transforming Bangalore
into a model global metro, befitting its stature as a vibrant IT/BT hub and
India’s knowledge capital.

There have been a plethora of grandiose schemes and promises by successive
governments and different political parties, including making Singapore out
of Bangalore, in the past. You know very well what happened. I don’t want to
make any empty and tall promises. You have seen Bangalore two years back and
its present status after the BJP came to power in Karnataka. And now, after
being blessed with a clear majority for the ruling party in the country’s
fastest growing metropolis, allow me to chart out my vision for the city’s
development over the next five years.

The tasks and challenges confronting Bangalore are manifold. Traffic
congestion, inadequate public transport system, infrastructural bottlenecks,
paucity of housing, drinking water and chronic shortage of power, fast
depleting lakes and tanks, vanishing trees and green cover, parks and
lung-space, woefully scarce parking facilities despite having the highest
vehicular density, lack of sanitation, healthcare and a population bursting
at the seams with unabated migration from rural areas and neighbouring
states - the list is simply endless.

And my government has been tackling these problems and needs implementing
over 10,000 different developmental works in almost every part of the city
during the last two years. Construction of fly-overs, underbridges,
overbridges, grade separators, upgradation of public transport system,
improvement and road widening works are going on at a brisk pace. Many more
citizen-friendly initiatives and new projects, including augmentation of
drinking water supply, are on the anvil.

Bengaluru International Airport, which has been in the making for decades,
finally got going under A B Vajpayee-led NDA rule. Metro Rail project, which
has been languishing for a long time, got a fillip after the BJP came to
power with huge outlays and constant monitoring. The first train under the
Namma Metro will chug off by the year-end. Simultaneously, Mono Rail network
is also expected to take off as a feeder service to areas not connected by
Namma Metro. In addition, the city is sought to be inter-linked with
existing rail lines at Mysore, Tumkur, K R Puram-Whitefield and
Doddaballapur-Kolar for easy operation of local trains after electrification
on the Mumbai model. Apart from roping in the private sector, the state
government will be partnering with the Railways for speedy implementation.

You are well aware of the drain on the State’s scarce resources due to the
chronic power situation with the attendant problems of load-shedding and
darkness. I don’t want to blame anybody on why Karnataka has been reduced to
this pathetic condition from being a power surplus State. My Government has
taken up several major power projects and is well on its way to adding over
5000 MW of power in the next 3 to 5 years. Bangalore will continue to get
special attention with a dedicated 1400 MW gas based power plant at Bidadi,
while the capacity of the Yelahanka diesel generating station is also being
enhanced.

These are the broad outlines and salient features of my vision to fulfill
your dream of a better and people-friendly Bengaluru. At the end of the five
year term of the BJP-ruled BBMP, I assure you that Bangalore will be well on
its way of becoming a model global metro. I am sure you can compare
Bangalore’s development five years from now to any period under any previous
government and decide for yourself. The BJP’s tryst with Bangalore’s
development will be long lasting.

*Asare - Shelter for the Flood-affected*

The unprecedented devastation caused by last year’s floods in as many as 14
districts of north Karnataka is undoubtedly one of the worst-ever in over a
century. The floods left a trail of death, misery, suffering and
destruction. That 229 people died and 7,882 livestock washed away in 4,292
villages and 6.55 lakh houses and crops in over 22 lakh hectares of land
were lost involving an estimated loss of over Rs 18,568 crore is one aspect
of the colossal human tragedy.

But shifting of 301 (145 Fully and 156 Partially= 301) constantly
flood-prone low lying villages and construction of better houses for 63,000
families is the bigger challenge. While construction of 18,500 houses in 75
villages with the help of donor agencies has been accomplished, a massive
construction programme in another 55 villages, including 45 villages by the
Housing Corporation and 5 villages by the Katta Foundation was taken up just
last month. The Government is confident of completing construction of houses
before the onset of monsoon in June-July even as preparation for
infrastructure works like laying roads, providing drinking water and power
supply as well school and primary healthcare facilities is being done. The
Government is confident of providing shelter for all the people rendered
homeless by the deluge.

The State Government has already released Rs 1,878 crore including grants
from the Centre and donations as well as contributions from individuals and
companies. Central assistance to the tune of Rs 7,047.34 crore is still
awaited.

I have a real satisfaction that I have been doing well. I may not be the
best, but, I am one of the performing Chief Ministers in India.

Karnataka is one of the top most states and I want to rise the bar.