[Reader-list] Does the murder of Jamim Shah in Kathmandu imply anything broader?

Bibek Paudel eternalyouth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:26:43 IST 2010

Hi all,
I am a reader of this list, from Nepal. I haven't posted anything to
this list so far, so please inform me if my posting doesn't go well
with the expectations of other readers.

Have you been following the murder of Nepalese media entrepreneur
Jamim Shah in Nepal and
its coverage in Indian media?

Quoting blog.com.np
http://blog.com.np/2010/02/07/was-jamim-shah-anti-india-with-isi-and-underworld-nexus/
:

Shah may be guilty for his alleged anti-India activities on Nepali
soil but that was never verified. Neither we heard of any reports of
India sharing its intelligence about Shah’s anti-India activities with
Nepali authorities. There are many media outlets in Nepal
(particularly newspapers) that are believed to be run (or help run) by
the Indian embassy in Kathmandu because they run not only hagiographic
reports about everything-India but also negative reports about
Pakistan. About Shah too, there were rumors in Kahtmandu about his
anti-India things but again they were never challenged in related
authorities.

Another post might be helpful too:
http://blog.com.np/2010/02/08/jamim-shah-murder-update-indian-says-he-killed/

Here is the most important part: “[The Jamim Shah murder] is a
statement from New Delhi that it will not let off anyone it perceives
as hostile to its national interests.”

From: http://blog.com.np/2010/02/09/jamim-shah-murder-a-statement-from-delhi/

Here are my opinions:

RAW might have used Chhota Rajan gang to get him killed. I am not sure
about his criminal
records (noone in Nepal is), but such an act of killing is very bad
and sad. Besides, it only helps those suspicious of India's motives
get more united and stronger in their belief. claiming oneself a
promoter of democracy and acting otherwise is very unfortunate, and it
will weaken sympathizers of better india-nepal relations. it will also
invite greater involvement of US, Israel, China, Pakistan and other
non-state entities in Nepal. Noone wins.

I hope democracy dissidents in India speak up about it. Like Outlook,
Hindu, Arundhati Roy etc. But i dont think its on their priority. I am
thinking of mailing all of them with a request. Lets see.

comments?

Bibek