[Reader-list] Marxism Exposed: How Labour And The Tories Are Destroying Britain

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Feb 20 16:34:12 IST 2010

Dear All,

I am delighted by Pawan Durani's endorsement and quotation from a
website -  www.greenarrow.co.uk -  that declares its mission to be to
-  "...unoffiically support the British National Party in their fight
to secure a future for the indigenous peoples of these islands in the
North Atlantic which have been our homeland for millennia."

The British National Party, as is well known (though perhaps not to
Mr. Durani) is the far right wing fascist party that wants a 'whites
only' United Kingdom. Had Pawan Durani happened to be a hard working
Asian Migrant in Britain, then, he would know that the BNP are the
ones who control the thugs that subject all asians and all people of
colour in Britain to racist abuse, and indeed violent attacks. To the
BNP's not very nuanced form of politics, Mr. Durani's protestations,
were he a South Asian immigrant subjected to their attacks, that
maybe he hates muslims as much as they do, would not hold much water.
For the BNP's cadre, even Mr. Durani, because he is a South Asian of
colour, would only be a "Paki". The BNP, the Shiv Sena and needless
to say, the Lashkar-e-Toiba, share the same view about those who
happen not to agree with them, or to pollute their understanding of
'pure' homelands. It is indeed wonderful to see Mr. Durani in such
august company. I have always maintained that someday the Hindutva
hard right will understand that their natural allies are the KKK and
Islamist fundamentalists. Perhaps Mr. Durani is a beacon of this
dawning understanding.

What is even more interesting is that Mr. Durani has offered for our
perusal a long tract that along with suggesting that the Labour and
the Conservative Parties in the UK are currently controlled by
Marxists (how I wish this were true) also suggests that Marx and
Engels were racist holocaust promoters (Note that the BNP's self
confessed racism and its known, persistent, flirtation with holocaust
deniers and neo-nazis in Europe is left uncommented on).

Marx and Engels, in their necessary polemics against the deeply anti-
semitic and reactionary elements within Slav nationalism did perhaps
use some regrettable and sweeping expressions. As someone sympathetic
to the vision and politics of Karl Marx, I have no hesitation in
critquing them, and in seeing within them traces of the provincial
markers of Marx and Engels' own intellectual formations. Marx and
Engels are not and were not gods who could do no wrong. They were
fallible and interesting human beings with their own prejudices and
quirks, (many of which changed during their lifetimes).

We have to ask, however, whether Marx and Engels remained wedded to
these sentiments throughout their lives. Both became champions of the
liberty of colonially subjugated peoples, in India and Ireland, for
instance, (even though Marx might have, contrary to his own
sympathies, condemned Indian societies to the 'refuse of history' )
without falling prey to Nationalism, and Marx, more so than Engels
was able to distance himself from some of his more extreme cultural
prejudices, prejudices, which were indeed commonplace in the milieu
in which they found themselves, in Victorian Britain and nineteenth
century Europe.

  But to put their remarks in proper context, what Marx, and more
specifically Engels meant by the deployment of the 'Ethnic Trash',
(volkerabfall) term - was that the matter of 'national' interest and
the 'nationality question' in Europe, especially as it played out in
Eastern Europe was a divisive and reactionary brand of politics that
sought to divide European Workers on the basis of their racial and
ethnic origins. Slav Nationalists were at the foreground of the anti-
semitic pogroms that swept through Eastern Europe in the nineteenth
century, and it was perhaps in this context that Marx and Engels made
their pronouncements. Bakunin, Marx's adversary in the First
International, was able to combine his laudable anarchism, with an
unfortunately venomous anti-semitic streak, and the polemics against
Bakunin, do give Marx and Engels an unfortunate and shrill edge.

Having said this, it is equally important to recognize, that Marx
himself came to recognize the slav traditions of the rural peasant
commune in Russia as providing perhaps a means to bypass Capitalism
on the way to a Communist future. (See his draft of a letter to Vera
Zasulich at -  http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1881/03/
zasulich1.htm - ). While Marx's estimation of the Slav traditions of
peasant communism may have been an 'over-estimation' at least they
demonstrate that he held the traditions of the peoples he had himself
once thought to have been 'refuse of history' (which would be the
more accuate gloss of terms like Volkerabfall) in high regard.

Mr. Durani's anti-marx prejudice seems to have been acquired under
some special circumstances, because he swings from one extreme to
another, in exhibiting it. Right now, he has tried, with the help of
the fascist BNP's unofficial supporters, that Marx was racist. Not so
long ago, however, he had himself (perhaps unwittingly) become the
vehicle for the transmission of the classic anti-semitiic (anti-
Jewish) slur against Karl Marx.

Not many may remember, but I do, that on the 15th of November, 2008,
Mr. Durani, apropos of Karl Marx, had written, in this very list, the
following gem.

"We do not live inside some mind like that of Karl Marx and the
occultist elite who funded him (Satanic Rothschild Dynasty ). We live
in a real world."

[ See - http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2008-November/
016614.html ]

riposte to Mr. Durani, which I now offer for all your entertainment.
Please enjoy, but while doing so, remember how, Pawan Durani can
suddenly be a bleeding heart liberal (without any irony) in the
company of the racist BNP one day, and a sly anti-semite on another
occasion. I marvel at his versatility and his flexibility. Perhaps it
comes from not having to be bothered by the inconvenience of an
ethical spine.

best

Shuddha

"I have heard many really low down and colourful anti-semitic jibes
in my life. But the one about Karl Marx being funded by the 'satanic'
Rothschild family takes the cake. I am absolutely delighted that
Pawan Durani has offered us this rich serving of tripe. The 'frisson'
of this rumour of course has to do with the fact that both Karl Marx
and the Rothschilds were Jewish by birth. I am familiar with this
story, as I am and have been a keen observer of right wing esoterica
both on the internet and beyond it, and the 'Marx-Rothschild-Jewish-
Communist' Plot to take over the universe has a long and
distinguished pedigree on the outer fringes of the loony right.

This rumour circulates widely amongst virulntly anti-semitic
Christian Evangelical websites (whom Pawan Durani may or many not be
so comfortable with,as they are not known for being nice to Hindus,
and also amongst the higher echelons of the followers of Mahmoud
Ahmedinijad, though here it is  generally found in Farsi), and
indeed, is to be found in Ku Klux Klan literature. All of is
apparently based on accounts of two 'cheques' in the British Museum
which show that Marx was paid by the Rothschild to destroy the world
as we know it. Marx received some stipends from a distant relative of
his who had links with the family that founded the Phillips
engineering corporation. And of course he was supported by his friend
and comrade Friedrich Engels, whose income derived from the
operations of his family firm in Manchester.

The 'Marx-Rothschild Fuding' rumour is said to have originated in the
pre-firing squad confessions of the dissident Bolshevik Rakovsky to
Stalin's secret police, the NVKD, and was then circulated, first in
Francoist circles in Latin America and Spain, before taking a new
life on the internet. This is a wonderfully surreal world, with born
again Christians, Stalinists, occultists of a discreetly Nazi
persuasion, KKKites, Ahmedinijad supporters and anti-semites graced
now by the company of none other than our very own Pawan Durani. If
the sad day of a Hindutva-Stalinist takeover of India were ever to
arrive, then I would hope that delirious repetitions of rumours first
circulated about  on the Reader List by people desparate to say
anything to escape the cold end of a pistol's nozzle do not land me
in trouble.

I had better take care, before Pawan or his zealot friends discover
my jewish great aunt Rahel's address in some remote Kolkata bylane,
and having done so, furnish an updated edition of the 'Protocol of
the Elders of Zion' to state that I (nothing other than a diluted
Jew)  the ghost of those devious Jews Karl Marx and Leon Trotsky, the
current wife of Amartya Sen (none other than Emma Rothschild, "Oh my
god, they got him the nobel prize" and everyone knows that Amartya
Sen hates hindutva) are party to the conspiracy to destroy the
planet. Perhaps the details of this would include speculations about
whether or not I 'recieved' ghost money from the ghost of Marx,
sourced from the ghost of Rothschilds.

Did I hear someone say that global warming was a crypto Jewish-
Marxist-plot in league with giant lizard aliens, and that yesterday's
patriotic Indian mission to the moon, was only the first salvo in the
galactic war against global warming, which is actually produced by
the swarming of anti-national elements on the internet, which somehow
produces lunar currents, which in turn leads to global warming.

No, I didn't.

But if we are to believe Pawan Durani on Marx and the Rothschild's we
might as well prepare ourselves to believe this too.

regards,

Shuddha"

------

On 20-Feb-10, at 2:06 PM, Pawan Durani wrote:

> Part One: Birth Of The New Man
>
> Introduction
>
> Something is wrong with Great Britain and Western Civilisation. Badly
> wrong. Imagine, if you will, that the brave warriors who fought to
> preserve Great Britain from tyranny during the Second World War have
> been resurrected and allowed to visit modern day Britain to see for
> themselves the fruits of their sacrifice.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective
shuddha at sarai.net