[Reader-list] UID CARD Doubts

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 18:41:15 IST 2010

Dear Shashidhar and AK Malik,

Why do you get this impression that I am complicating things? When in
fact I am asking a very simple question. I sometimes feel that I have
become completely neurotic in obsessing about identity in such a
public fashion for the last so many years. But maybe sometimes it
requires a neurosis to drive home a point.

So without further ado. Please allow me to put my question to you.

What does one mean by identity?

I would thank you from the bottom of my heart if you could please tell
me the answer of this very very simply question. I gather from your
mail that you seem to have a clear notion of what UID is all about. I
would not post any mails on this list if you were to tell me the
meaning of identity, a meaning which could be applied universally.

So that every time I read this fuzzy word -identity- in UID I know
what it means and every time this word comes across me I would know
what it means and of course it must mean the same thing. Hope you
wouldn't mind taking some time off your busy schedule to clear the
fuzziness from -identity-, would you?

And Shashidhar which sort of a change you would rather choose?

Would you go for a change if you know that the change is for the worse
or would you go for a change if you know that the change is for the
good.

And what if you didn't know what sort of a change it was then! What
would you do?

Would you rather go for a change which you didn't know was good, or
did not know was worse. Or if you would rather if change were to come
to you then would you not prefer to rather stay where you were and
spent some time in weighing and measuring and thinking and speculating
about the good that this change may do to you or harm you in some way
and apply this change to tests and maybe then proceed with a
confidence of a belief? Wouldn't you rather think before standing in a
queue to give your fingerprints, just because everyone is doing it?

Didn't they tell us after independence that big dams are good for all?
Didn't they say that all our problems with respect to food, hunger,
water, electricity will go if we have big dams? Didn't they ask us to
put our faith in technology? Well what happened to that promise? We
changed didn't we? and what happened? Are we free of all food, hunger,
water, electricity problems? Do you want to put your belief in the
words of these people again without doubting it even a single bit?

Warm regards

Taha