[Reader-list] Post Peepli [Live]

Shailesh Rai rai.shailesh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 23:16:03 IST 2010

Hi all,

The Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti, a farmers' advocacy group which keeps a
record of farmer suicides in the region, objected to Peepli Live because
they had a similar interpretation. Here's what the head of the group said:

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_vidarbha-farmers-demand-ban-on-peepli-live_1424459

Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti president Kishore Tiwari said: “Farmers are
driven to suicide because of wrong policies by the government. Instead of
focusing on the deep-rooted problems responsible for farmers’ distress, the
film highlights greed. It sends a wrong message to the public on a crucial
issue."

The point being made, as I see it, is that desperation is a more appropriate
justification for suicide than self-interest.

Shailesh